- 11 of the 37 NSOs highlighted in the report (or 29%) have less than 20% representation of women on their board.
- 2 NSOs have no women on their board.
- Hockey Australia was the standout with 55% representation.
- 27% of SSAs we reviewed had less than 20% women on their board.
- 7 SSAs had no women on their board.
- 17 SSAs (or 20%) had more than 50% of women on their boards.
- Gender diverse boards allocate more effort to monitoring practices, indicating companies with women in key board committee roles (such as risk and audit) perform better
- A study found that boards in Canada with three or more female directors took more responsibility for their approach to governance issues, verifying the integrity of audit information and ensuring conflict of interest guidelines, amongst other measures, were met. 
- Expanding the pool of directors also alleviates other corporate governance problems such as directors serving on too many boards, having overly long tenure, and interlocking relationships/conflicts of interest. 
- Companies with at least one woman on their boards may reduce their risk of bankruptcy.
 http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/australias_winning_edge/sports_tally_2014  http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/australias_winning_edge/mandatory_sports_governance_principles/board_composition_and_operation  http://www.smh.com.au/sport/sports-boards-failing-on-female-representation-20140403-zqq6z.html  Adams, R., & Ferreira, D., ‘Women in the boardroom and their impact on governance and performance’, Journal of Financial Economics, 2009  ‘Women on Boards: Not just the right thing... But the bright thing’, Conference Board of Canada, 2002  ‘The Diversity Scorecard: Measuring board composition in Asia Pacific’, The Korn/Ferry Institute, 2012  'Higher heels, lower risk: why women on the board help a company through recession', The Times, 19 March 2009
You may also be interested in...
MAINTAINING BEST PRACTICE REQUIRES REGULAR REVIEW
Over the past 6 years Vicsport has worked with in excess of 30 State Sporting Associations to improve their governance practices and policies through the Good Governance program
NEW RESOURCE: TRANSGENDER PEOPLE AND SPORT
The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission has launched a groundbreaking guideline designed to promote the participation of transgender people in sport
'ARE YOU ON BOARD' – ANSWERING THE CALL TO ACTION
Over two weeks ago, Vicsport released a new campaign to support Victorian Sport Organisations address gender diversity on their boards titled ‘Are You On Board?’ The response to the campaign over the last two weeks has been overwhelmingly positive